My Lovely Followers

Sunday 11 January 2015

May - Saturated Canary GDT Entry

Happy Sunday to you all! I hope you're all having/had a great weekend.  As many of you may know, Krista Smith the wonderful artist of Saturated Canary Stamps and her Design Team are having a GDT call in their Facebook group. I must admit I procrastinated about trying out for quite a while, not because I wouldn't love to be a guest, but because after the previous try I really wasn't sure my work was good enough or what they are looking for....and oh my, there are soooooo many simply stunning entries there, I felt quite intimidated! 

But then, I really really love this image (well I love all Saturated Canary images, but this one really called out to me) from the bundle that Krista has in her shop at the moment, and since you're required to use an image from this bundle to enter...I thought, I will colour the image and make something I really like, then at the end of the day if I don't get in.....I will still have had the enjoyment of playing with an image I love and have made something I'm proud of.

Now this image seems to be a favourite of a lot of the entrants (and I can totally understand why) and it's been coloured in many different ways, but just recently I have been playing around with colouring hair in unusual colours with my distress inks, and also using brighter/stronger colours in them, so that's what I decided to do with her.

I did get quite excited when colouring her because she came out so well and I also got nervous too. I'm sure those of you who colour will understand what I mean...things are going so well but almost 'too' well, you are scared that you will make a mistake and destroy the whole thing (and I have to say that the first 2 attempts went straight in the recycling lol!)? So it was very tempting to stop at a certain point, but I made myself go ahead and add in all the little details and depth, and I'm really glad that I did. 

I've put her on a card for now, but I haven't decorated the inside yet, because I may frame her and keep her for myself, I haven't decided yet.

Anyhoooo...enough of my witless waffle and on with the sharing.


This is May and you can find her as part of a special bundle here.

I coloured her with Distress Ink markers, colours as follows:

Skin, Lips and Eyes: Tattered Rose, Tea Dye, Spun Sugar, Milled Lavender, Evergreen Bough, Peacock Feathers, Pumice Stone.
Hair: Shaded Lilac, Dusty Concord, Milled Lavender, Picked Raspberry.
Clothing & Butterfly: Shaded Lilac, Dusty Concord, Evergreen Bough, Peacock Feathers, Picked Raspberry.
The background is just a little Antique Linen.

I had originally chosen some brighter papers to match her too, but I decided that I didn't want to detract too much from the image and instead used these lovely, more muted papers in the same colours. These are from the Sofiero collection from Maja design. I don't have much of this left and they are out of stock now, so it takes something special for me to cut into them! Papers are inked with Walnut Stain DI and hand stitched as always.


Since there was a butterfly in the image, I took that as my inspiration to use this lovely Joycrafts die. It's actually a circular die, but I snipped into it and opened it up more so I could semi frame my image. I popped a little cheesecloth between my layers, and some gorgeous lace underneath,


I didn't want to over embellish, so I stuck mainly with some flowers and some fairly subtle bling, I liked the flourish (which I cut into 3) as it looked like the breeze blowing the strands of her hair.
Originally I was going to add a bow in my lovely pink organza ribbon, but it looked too much, so I just tucked a snippet under my flowers.

Some of the products I used:





I do hope you like her and I hope Krista and the Saturated Canary DT love her as much as I do, but if not at least I'd made something I'm proud of and had so much fun doing it, and after all, that's what it's all about isn't it? :) xx


15 comments:

  1. OMG this is sooo pretty. Your Distress Ink colouring is divine and I love her hair colour. Why on earth you would think that your work isn't good enough is beyond me Linda, it's UP THERE with some of the most talented artists around. As I always say - STUNNING!
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wow wow Linda, this is just so stunningly designed and coloured. You are a true artist.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome colouring of that pretty SC image, Linda and a beautiful card too! Fab card shape, lots of scrummy layers and your amazing attention to detail! Good luck with the GDT entry, your work is most definitely worthy of any design team! Hugs, Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply fabulous image!!!
    Your card is gorgous, full of pretty details and beautiful colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Linda is is one classy card!! The colours are totally gorgeous and the design and embellies are beautiful! I wish you lots of luck with your entry and in my opinion is right up there with the the other entries!!
    hugs
    Gina x

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! You certainly deserve a place on the team with this entry Linda.
    Your colouring is amazing and all your detailing is so beautiful. It's clear to see how much you enjoyed making this and I really hope you make it onto the team.
    hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is absolutely beautiful, Linda! If they don't pick you for a GDT spot, they are crazy! I love the way the image is colored as well as the beautiful embellishing. Keeping my fingers crossed that you win a spot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so so gorgeous! Your colouring is just stunning! The papers match just perfectly too, I love the colours you've used on her!
    Best of luck with the DT call!! You totally deserve a place!
    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW and stunning are the only words for this make hun...its not a matter of not good enough to be on the team for SC..its WHY aren't you there already!!! Stunning xx
    hugs
    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is AWESOME! Looooove the hair and I am glad you went with the less bright colours so it doesn't detract from her. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is stunning sweetie, Love the super gorgeous colours, especially her hair. I have coloured this one in twice, one with copics & the other with DI's & still not put them on cards or anything lol. Good luck with the GDT hun I have everything crossed for you. Krista really is awesome to work for, one of the best hun.

    Lotsa hugs Vicky xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda your card is fabulous and your colouring is spot on - well done and good luck! Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so beautiful! She looks so pretty in your gorgeous choice of colours and I love all your embellishments. Good luck in the GDT call - you really deserve it.
    Rebecca.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this is absolutely stunning! I'm in awe looking at your gorgeous coloring with the distress markers! I am most intrigued by the colors you used on her skin. Wow! I hope you get in - looks like you would definitely be a great fit in the team. I hope you do frame this - it is swoon worthy and must be hung!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and feedback and every one left is read and appreciated. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, I will always do my best to answer them. Thanks for visiting!

Linda xx